Paying your Rent

Your rent is a weekly charge for the accommodation where you live. Paying this charge is your main responsibility under your Tenancy Agreement and is due weekly, each Monday in advance. To ensure that your payment is applied to the right account, we will give you a reference number which you can use to make payments using the methods details below.

It is important that you always keep your rent payments up to date as, if you don’t, you may be evicted and lose your home. This would make it very difficult for you to be rehoused in social housing again and will affect your ability to get credit in the future.

How to Pay Your Rent?

If you receive housing benefit towards your rent, you may find it easier to have this paid directly to us as your landlord. This and other options available, will be discussed with you by your Housing Officer before you move in.

Direct payments can be made in the following ways:

  • Standing Order if you have a bank or building society account you can set up a standing order by instructing your bank to make regular payments from your account directly to Brighton & Hove City Council.
  • Online at the Brighton & Hove City Council website.  The Credit Control Team will issue you with a payment reference number in order to use this service.
  • By telephone using your debit or credit card.
  • PayPoint at a bank or PayPoint outlet.  The Credit Control Team will issue a card with your reference number and details on it upon request.

Whichever of these methods you choose, please contact the Credit Control Team on 01273 294400 (option 3).

They will provide you with a reference number and all the details you require to make payment by your preferred option.

Customer Online System

Seaside tenants can now register on Brighton & Hove City Council customer online service to view your rent account and other associated accounts online 24 hours a day, seven days a week. You can link to the online payments system, print off an account statement or offer a repayment arrangement if you are in arrears.

To register visit: